The Customer Service Representative at the Western Wayne News is often our first point of contact with readers, subscribers, advertisers and community members who have a question, request or comment about one of our publications or projects, both in person, on the phone or online. While excellent professional communication skills are a must, to thrive in this role, you’ll need to enjoy listening, researching, problem solving, guiding customers, and building relationships with others in the organization and throughout the community.
This role requires proficiency with a variety of online and office tools including phone systems, email, Google Docs and Sheets or similar office software, customer relationship management (CRM) databases, Slack or similar chat programs, billing and accounting software, and others. You should be comfortable exploring and using web-based resources for completing tasks and researching questions.
In general, a typical day involves:
- Answering the phone and assisting callers directly or connecting them to other team members.
- Reviewing, researching and resolving incoming questions about subscriptions, advertisements, retail sales and other topics.
- Typing detailed, helpful notes about your conversations and any further action needed from others.
- Engaging customers across a variety of channels including email, phone, postal mail, social media conversations, and walk-ins to the office.
- Receiving packages, deliveries and mail, and ensuring supplies and equipment related to customer-facing operations are stocked and well organized
- Actively looking for ways to assist other team members in the newspaper production process as well as proactively anticipate and address subscriber and customer concerns.
- Sharing knowledge with other teammates and making suggestions for improvements in our operations that will better serve customers.
While some aspects of this role can at times be done remotely, it is currently a position that primarily requires being present in our Cambridge City, Indiana office. The ideal schedule would be Tuesdays through Fridays 9 AM to 4 PM, approximately 25-30 hours per week, but there is some flexibility to adjust based on your schedule.
The role may include occasional attendance at events, fairs, festivals and meetings around Wayne County to represent the organization to community partners, contacts and potential customers.
An ideal Customer Service Representative:
- Has at least one year of experience working in customer service
- Is detail-oriented, resourceful and well organized
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys using tools to increase efficiency and provide better service
- Has patience, grace, and a sense of humor
This is a part-time, salaried position. The salary range is $22,000 to $25,000 per year. (This is a good-faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person’s experience, accomplishment and location. Civic Spark Media is committed to paying its staff equitably, and this range should not be considered a career salary limit or cap.)
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards. Must have the ability to stand for extended periods of time, to lift and carry parcels, packages and other items up to 20 pounds, to walk short distances, and drive a vehicle to deliver and pick up materials. The role requires close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
Ready to apply? Learn more about our hiring process.